D.T Curriculum vision statement:
At South Walney Junior School we have a clear, coherent vision for our D.T curriculum.
The study of D.T supports our pupils to become immersed in an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. High-quality design and technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the local area and of the nation.
Using creativity and imagination, we want our pupils to
- enjoy designing and making products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values.
- acquire a broad range of subject knowledge ‘Know more, remember more, do more’
- draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art.
- learn how to problem solve and become resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens, ready to join the world of work which is particularly relevant in our local area.
- evaluate past and present design and technology- and study important engineers from all cultures and areas of society, developing a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world.
We believe we have an inspirational, ambitious and coherently planned knowledge-rich D.T curriculum. Our curriculum aims to be transformative, raising Design and Technology aspirations to see beyond our locality as well as valuing the uniquely rich experience of living near BAE Systems. We are aware that a significant proportion of our pupils will work within the technology sector and we want to give them to best start to their careers, giving them the tools and skills to seek work within this area or beyond.
Our Design and Technology curriculum is underpinned by our core principles, using the mnemonic SAFE:
A Supportive school
helping children to Achieve
On a foundations of Excellence